Cohort Insights (CI) is a flexible analytics tool that provides insights about your Energy, Water, and Carbon performance via custom efficiency-based peer group comparisons. Peer groups, also known as cohorts, are groups of buildings that are defined using a wide variety of building characteristics including: building type, size, location, data coverage, and more.
You can access Cohort Insights through different avenues in the Measurabl app. Whether or not you have full access to the unique customizations of Cohort Insights, will depend on your subscription tier. To learn how to upgrade, reach out to your Account Manager/ Customer Success Manager or our Support Team.
Where are the Cohort Insights widgets?
- The Cohort Insights widget will appear on the 'Portfolio Overview' and the 'Site Overview' dashboards. These cards display Cohort Insight’s key metric, the Efficiency Percentile.
- If you are a premium customer, you will see the 'Portfolio Overview' and 'Site Overview' dashboard widgets as follows:
- If you are not paying for this feature, you will see the 'Portfolio Overview' and 'Site Overview' dashboard widgets as follows:
- To learn how to be able to customize your peer cohort by property type, size, location, and/or data coverage, please reach out to your Measurabl Account Manager/ Customer Success Manager, or our Support Team.
What buildings are used in the peer comparison set with Cohort Insights?
- Cohort Insights compares your buildings' efficiencies against every other building in Measurabl. The Premium version allows users to customize which buildings they want to be compared against.
- Follow this guide to learn how to utilize Cohort Insights.
What are the requirements for my building to be benchmarked?
- In order to receive an Efficiency Percentile benchmark for a given metric (i.e. energy, water), buildings must have at least 1 meter reading within the last 12 months, starting two months ago. See more on this in the next question.
- If you only track energy data, you will be able to benchmark energy and carbon. If you only track water data, you will be able to benchmark water. If you track both, you will be able to benchmark all three metrics: energy, water, and carbon, assuming you have at least 1 meter reading for each (Energy & Water) within the past 12 months.
Why is the date range on the Efficiency Percentile widget set to the last 12 months, starting two months ago?
- On average, more than half of utility data comes in at least 6 months after the end usage date. About one third of data is in after 2 months just slightly more after 3 months. There is a built-in 2-month lag to account for this data entry behavior. There would not be sufficient data for meaningful comparisons within the first 2 months of data entry because the comparison data set would only include less than 1/3 of the Measurabl database.
- If you have customized your Cohort, the most recent update will show on the widget on either the 'Portfolio Overview' and the 'Site Overview' dashboard.
Does the Efficiency Percentile get updated?
- Yes, the Efficiency Percentile is updated monthly.
Any other common questions regarding Cohort Insights, can be found in this article.